Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Quotable quotes for Cole Hamels

In what seems to be a recurring theme, Cole Hamels was overlooked last night.  But I was able to find a few good quotes regarding Cole.

Hamels fell behind a lot of hitters and threw a crapload of pitches in his six innings last night.  Originally I thought he just had bad stuff, but it sounds like the Braves deserve a little credit:

"The plan I had going into the game, and the way I thought their approach would be, definitely wasn't," he said. "It was the complete opposite."

And here's a quote from Matt Diaz of the Braves:

"I never tip my hat to many pitchers, but Cole Hamels is one I will constantly tip my hat to," he said. "He bared right down after the McCann homer. He's fun to play against because it's always going to be a battle, but it's frustrating as heck because he wins a lot of those battles."

You would not have heard that quote three years ago.  Cole needed to learn how to control himself and he did just that.  Mental strength is what separates good from great and Hamels has moved from the former to the latter.

No comments: